Boise City was established in 1908 by a pair of swindlers. “Developers” J E Stanley and A J Kline published and distributed brochures promoting the town as an elegant, tree-lined city — boise means “tree” — with paved streets, numerous businesses, railroad service and an artesian well. Based on this attractive, but totally make believe idillic community, Mr Stanley and Mr Kline sold 3000 lots to unsuspecting adventurers. When the excited new buyers arrived, they found an expanse of prairie filled with buffalo grass. And nothing else.